Staff Attorney, Private Attorney Involvement Program (PAI): Project Clean Slate
Lakeshore Legal Aid strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 44 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Southfield, Warren, Riverview, Mt. Clemens, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, consumer, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking an attorney to lead its work in Project Clean Slate, a program with the City of Detroit Law Department designed to eliminate barriers to employment and other services and benefits by providing free legal representation in the expungement process. The attorney will be responsible for interacting with expungement clients, volunteer attorneys who represent expungement clients, and tracking client progress within Project Clean Slate. The Staff Attorney will work closely with the staff of the PAI Program, other Lakeshore staff, and the partners in Project Clean Slate.
- Screen clients for income and asset eligibility at outreach events.
- Advise clients regarding the expungement process.
- Prepare pleadings and applications and draft briefs supporting expungements.
- Represent clients in expungement hearings.
- Support volunteer attorneys in representing expungement clients
- Supervise the Legal Assistant dedicated to Project Clean Slate.
- Ensure compliance with funders requirements.
- Assist in developing and maintaining a productive work environment.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits.
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.