Staff Attorney, Private Attorney Involvement Program (PAI) – Lakeshore Legal Aid
Lakeshore Legal Aid strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 44 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Southfield, Warren, Riverview, Mt. Clemens, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, consumer, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking an attorney to facilitate pro bono work by private attorneys. The attorney will recruit and mentor attorneys to handle pro bono cases and work with Lakeshore clients at clinics and other projects to increase the number of clients who receive legal services from Lakeshore. The Staff Attorney will work closely with the staff of the PAI Program, other Lakeshore staff, and the community agencies who refer cases to Lakeshore.
- Screen clients for income and asset eligibility at outreach events.
- Advise clients regarding legal issues and the placement process.
- Attend Bar Association functions and other events to recruit pro bono attorneys.
- Prepare pleadings and other legal documents as needed.
- Mentor and support volunteer attorneys in representing clients and at clinics or other projects.
- Ensure compliance with funders’ requirements.
- Assist in developing and maintaining a productive work environment.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits.
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org