Legal Assistant Private Attorney Involvement Program (PAI): Project Clean Slate – Lakeshore Legal Aid
Lakeshore Legal Aid strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 44 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Southfield, Warren, Riverview, Mt. Clemens, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, consumer, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking a person to support its work in Project Clean Slate, a program with the City of Detroit Law Department designed to eliminate barriers to employment and other services and benefits by providing free legal representation in the expungement process. The legal assistant will be responsible for interacting with expungement clients, volunteer attorneys who represent expungement clients, and tracking client progress within Project Clean Slate. The Legal Assistant will work closely with the staff of the PAI Program, other Lakeshore staff, and the partners in Project Clean Slate.
- Send correspondence and materials to volunteer attorneys and clients.
- Enter and update data on volunteer attorneys and clients in the database.
- Follow-up with volunteer attorneys and clients on cases.
- Respond to inquiries from volunteer attorneys.
- Screen clients for income and asset eligibility at outreach events.
- Enter cases in the database from outreach events.
- Prepare pleadings under supervision of an attorney.
- Handle filing and service of pleadings by mail.
- Notarize appropriate documents.
- Assist in developing and maintaining a productive work environment.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree
- Paralegal degree helpful but not required.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work through past employment or volunteer work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits.
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.