NPPN conducts a four-step search process that includes:
STEP 1: DISCOVERY
- Conduct meetings with client, senior staff, board and/or search committee members to understand the organization’s, culture, mission, challenges and vision.
- Assist in developing and/or reviewing job description.
- Maintain client contact with updates throughout the process.
- Create an executive position synopsis for use in marketing and recruitment.
- Create key competency profile based on established position parameters for use by NPPN and the search committee/client in the recruitment, pre-screening and interview process.
STEP 2: RESEARCH AND RECRUITMENT
- Research, recruit and utilize a targeted network to identify qualified candidates from the non-profit and corporate sectors.
- Prepare and implement NPPN’s strategic approach to recruitment and networking looking for highly qualified passive and active candidates.
- Conduct a database search for candidates with required skill level and experience.
- Coordinate additional outreach via telephone contacts, professional networking, and newsletter mailings.
- Post position opening; (internet sites, trade journals, and other publications) when appropriate.
- Share the job description and organization’s materials with identified candidates.
STEP 3: CANDIDATE ASSESSMENT AND SELECTION
- Communicate with all candidates who have applied.
- Review, evaluate and assess the most qualified candidates with a telephone screen, and in-person pre-screen interviews.
- Present the “A List” candidates to the search committee. Discuss their candidacy, and select candidates to participate in the formal interview process.
- Set-up and coordinate formal interview schedule with search committee and approved candidates.
- Prepare and distribute interview packets to the search committee (to include candidate information, interview questions, schedules, illegal questions, etc.)
- Participate in and facilitate interviews.
- Conduct a debriefing session following the first interview to determine who will be asked to return for additional interviews.
- Conduct thorough interviews with professional references for the final candidates.
STEP 4: CONCLUSION
- Facilitate negotiations, as warranted
- Coordinate all correspondence to candidates not offered the position.
- Follow-up within six months with client and /or candidate to assess transition.